What technology risks does your business face? Have you considered them? Do you have the appropriate processes and technology in place to mitigate these risks?
In the next 3 blog posts, we’ll be discussing 3 distinct types of technology risk, and how your company can best position itself against them.
1. External Attacks (Viruses / Malware)
When most people talk about technology risks or security, the first thing that comes to mind is the risk of external threats – and for good reason. External attacks on company networks continue to increase in both volume and sophistication. Further, the increased presence of social media in the workplace is resulting in more companies seeing spam and malware attacks. A recent Sophos Security Threat Report confirms that 2009 saw a 70% rise in the proportion of firms that report encountering spam and malware attacks via social networks.
Mitigating the risk of these external threats requires a co-ordinated, multi-front effort, including:
- Properly installed & configured firewalls
- Policy-based & configurable Web content filtering
- Industry leading Antivirus (365Care+ includes Trend Micro OfficeScan 10 – which just received a ‘Recommend’ rating from the NSS Malware test)
- Scheduled preventative maintenance to ensure Security updates and Antivirus updates are being performed consistently (we recommend that Antivirus updates are performed DAILY)
- A SPAM block & quarantine solution (365MailSafe is an example)
With properly configured and managed security solutions in place, your business can significantly reduce the risk of suffering an external attack. If you’re not sure where to start, ask us – we’ll be happy to help.
In our next post, we’ll look at Technology Risk type #2 – unauthorized access to information.