Will Office 365 by any other name smell as sweet?
We’re about to find out, as Microsoft is about to rebrand some of its Office 365 commercial plans as “Microsoft 365” or M365.
The change takes place on April 21, and won’t affect your subscription or pricing. You’ll also get some new benefits, including Microsoft Editor and premium creative content.
There’s no action required on your part, as the change will happen automatically. The main issue is that the name change could cause some confusion, since a few years ago “M365” was the moniker for a subscription bundle for Windows 10, Office 365 and Enterprise Mobility + Security.
Why the rebrand?
Microsoft is hoping that the rebrand will signal that Office 365 is more than Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
“We changed the name to be more reflective of the range of features and benefits in the subscription, to meet the unique needs of individuals and businesses,” says Microsoft on its website. “This new approach to naming our products is designed to help you quickly find the plan you need and get back to your business.”
New features include:
- Excel: Seamlessly connect your financial accounts using “Money” in Excel to view, manage, and gain insights into your personal finances.
- Smart assistance: Helps you improve your writing in Word and Outlook, analyze Excel data, and deliver dynamic PowerPoint presentations. Find out about smart assistance here.
- Creative content: Includes premium templates, fonts, and stock photos to create high-quality personalized content. Take a peek here to see what you can create.
- OneDrive Personal Vault: Add another layer of protection to your important files and photos. Learn how to implement this protection on your files.
- Partner benefits: New benefits from Microsoft’s partners will roll out on April 21.
Which Microsoft 365 version will you get?
- Office 365 Business Essentials: Microsoft 365 Business Basic
- Office 365 Business Premium: Microsoft 365 Business Standard
- Microsoft 365 Business: Microsoft 365 Business Premium
- Office 365 Business: Microsoft 365 Apps for business
- Office 365 ProPlus: Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise
The following plans will have no name change:
- Office 365 for Enterprise: Office 365 E1, Office 365 E3, Office 365 E5
- Office 365 for Firstline Workers: Office 365 F1
- Office 365 for Education: Office 365 A1, Office 365 A3, Office 365 A5
- Office 365 for Government: Office 365 G1, Office 365 G3, Office 365 G5
Have fun exploring the new features.